Friday 14 December 2007

A dying cat and the man who ran away.

"What is it about men"? I heard another of my female colleagues say. She was lamenting her partner's disappearance off for 3 weeks as his pet cat of 19 years was about to transcend to the cat's celestial choir. The poor old moggy had come to the end of its days but had done so at a very inappropriate time, just as the man had split the scene leaving her to deal with the last few days and the vet and the burial and the ..... well you know what I mean. "He knew this was going to happen and beetled off before he had to take his responsibility" she continued, "what is it about me that they don't want to take responsibility"? Well I suppose I kinda see what she means, responsibility is something that is expected of the inhabitants of 'Mars' and is left to the inhabitants of 'Venus'. I almost retired, "well you wouldn't have it any other way" but I thought better of it since I am the only male in the team and offers of such male philosophy had got me in trouble before. I smiled knowingly and tried to avoid saying anything, kinda like when your wife says "does my bum look big in this" and you don't know how to respond for best since a hesitation is almost as bad as the wrong answer. I think I got away with it for now but sooner or later this female dominated work place is going to offer up a conundrum that i will not be able to answer or avoid appropriately. Should it be that no other blog material appears on this page then you might guess what has happened to me.

What is is about us men though?
I think somehow we are misunderstood! Well of course we are, how are we supposed to match up to the expectations of our gender opposites when we are low on hormones, unable to multi-task and only use a small proportion of our brains for anything else that thinking about food and sex ....... oh! and boys toys of course, I almost forgot the one thing that helps us stay ahead in any league that of spacial awareness and technical appreciation. We have moved on from the wheel, the bike the motor car repair to a higher level of life that of the computer game which allows us to stay ahead a few leaps and slashes. The Wii being the one offering that allows the ladies access to something remotely game-ish allowing tennis and the like to be enjoyed by both. maybe this is the new era where we can Wii together for eternity enjoying one another's company and having breaks while the ladies go off to play with their toys, the iron and the cooker etc and the boys do some real gaming.
Responsibility, that what we were talking about when I was whisked of to the planet between Mars and Venus - the planet Wii. We are told that we are designed for it, we are supposed not to shirk it, that our attitudes should be more au fait with it so why does it come so hard to do it? Responsibility is the domain of wimps and cissies, we need to climb back onto our metaphoric horses and ride off to the place where all men are comfortable, the TV lounge.

Fortunately I remain in one piece......
Blogging is a great thing, I have not yet been discovered as I covertly reveal these seriously un-pc comments. Really we are not all that bad us men, we've been like this for centuries and it's to be expected, even although we have to yield for a few years to the feminists and the female 'superiors' it will go back to normal eventually as the ladies go off to have the next wave of male offspring and hover around some futuristic Mothercare store. Everywhere I go I seem to be surrounded by women, in my job, at home ..... some of them may now take on a more menacing stare rather than just putting up with me as I lounge in front of the screen Homer-like. You love us really don't you?

No comments: